What Was That Famous Republican Quote...

11.19.2005
Ore : 4:17 PM

...About a rising tide lifting all ships?




Happy Thanksgiving, folks...

UPDATE: From the comments, David Neiwert schools me on the real origins of the quote, which was later appropriated by voodoo economics witch doctors. My bad.


posted by teh l4m3 at 4:17 PM | Permalink |

[ back home ]

Comments for What Was That Famous Republican Quote...
Bush ignores stories like this...doesn't want anyone to see him not crying.

FWIW, although "A rising tide lifts all boats" is a favorite aphorism of the GOP, including the Wall Street set, it was actually first uttered by JFK back in 1962.

Thanks for pointing this story out. I'm going to try to link to it later today.

Wow, a bloglebrity (yes, you may shoot me, and shoot to kill, for using that word). I <3 Orcinus.

Anyway, thanks for the elucidation. You're right of course. It's one of those quotes, IIRC, Reaganites appropriated to help underscore the miracles of supply-side economics, and was made even more (in?)famous by them. Sort of like some Republican operatives cottoning to Old Joe Stalin's "No man, no problem."

That's a sweet picture though.

Isn't it, though? And it recalls for me a favorite phrase of my father's I could use to describe the Bush Administration: Like a bull in a china shop.

I still can't look at them without my eyes swelling with tears...the anger behind those tears will be what drives me...

© 2006 Freedom Camp | Blogger Templates by layoutstudios.com and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly


Web This Blog
My Photo
Name:
Location: Camp X-Ray, Gitmo, Cuba

I know why the caged bird gets beaten.


Bulls, Bitches & Screws